Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Statement Necklaces

Okay, unless you've been living in a cave for the last several months, you have to have realized that the statement necklace is hot right now. Huge bejeweled bib necklaces, linked pectorals of beads, ruffly explosions of fabric or flowers...who could forget the young lady on the Sartorialist with her simple jeans and tank top paired with a huge red flower necklace and simple perfect red lips? Her statement necklace is what really made that outfit work!

And yet, somehow, those necklaces are just not for me. I mean, there have certainly been some of them I have enjoyed, and I'm pretty well-known in my group for my adoration of big chunky jewelry. But I tend to prefer a less sparkly, less frilly, more classic look to my large jewelry.

This wonderful copper necklace is the kind of statement necklace I like:



Bold, certainly. It would make a statement, definitely. And yet, as the seller says, it really is the kind of thing you could see an Egyptian queen wearing...classic in the truest sense of the word. But couldn't you see pairing it with a simple black tank top and a pair of dark-wash jeans, as well? And it would look wonderful with my favorite pair of copper earrings.

So what do you think of the current statement necklace trend? Yay, or nay?

1 comment: