Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Halloween!


All right, I know I'm a little early with the Halloween wishes, but the husband and I are heading out of town tomorrow for an event at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin. Neil Gaiman's book "American Gods" had some scenes set there, and the House on the Rock folk decided to throw an American Gods-themed bash for the fans. And, of course, what better time of year than Halloween? Since I've been wanting to visit House on the Rock for some time, and since I'm a huge squeeing Gaiman fan-girl, and since our wedding anniversary is in October, it seemed like a great idea for a little get-away. But because of all that, I also won't be near a computer much over the next three days...thus the early Halloweeny post.

A favorite thing to do when it hits this time of the year is try to scare the bejeezus outta myself, to recapture the thrill that was trick-or-treating after dark on the night when ghosts and demons walked. I watch whatever scary movies I can find on tv, certainly, but I also like to read some scary stories! In case you're looking for a bit of a thrill and "Leprechaun in Space" (yes, it's a real movie!) just ain't cutting it, here's a handful of my personal favorite (truly creepy!) Halloween-ready tales!


"October in the Chair" by Neil Gaiman. (short story, collected in Fragile Things) -- A truly classic scary story, where what you DON'T see is far, far scarier than what you do.

"Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. -- Oh, man. I almost drove off the road one night while listening to the audio of this one!

"We Have Always Lived in the Castle" by Shirley Jackson. -- The truly disturbing nature of what's going on here really creeps up on you slowly. Delicous.

"The Bone Key" by Sarah Monette. -- A collection of short stories starring a character named Kyle Murchison Booth, some scarier than others...and some that made me jump out of my chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment