Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A thousand words

It's National Poetry Month, everybody!! I used to read...and write...poetry much more often than I do now, but I still have my old stand-by favorites, poems I will go to for a laugh or a burst of inspiration or comfort or wisdom. In honor of the month, I thought it might be a nice idea to pair excerpts from some of my favorite poems with my current art of choice, photography! So, maybe once a week, I'll post a lovely bit of poetry and try to pair it with at least one photo, either something I've already taken or something new, if needed.

I admit, I got the idea from this year's National Poetry Month poster. Not only is the quote on the poster a line from one of my all-time favorite poems, but it is a wonderful photograph...one of those photos that makes me wish I'd thought of it first, ha! I won't post it here, so that you have to go check out the site for yourself and explore if you want to see it, along with all the other wonderful features on the website. ;-)

But now, back to the meat of the post! My images and my poem. It seems appropriate, for the inaugural post, to use an excerpt from the same poem that is used on the poster this year: "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot. But I won't use the same line as the poster, oh, no.

----------------------------------------------------------------


And indeed there will be time

For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,

Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;



There will be time, there will be time

To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;

There will be time to murder and create,



And time for all the works and days of hands

That lift and drop a question on your plate;

Time for you and time for me,



And time yet for a hundred indecisions,

And for a hundred visions and revisions,

Before the taking of a toast and tea.



1 comment:

  1. yeah - j. alfred! we studied that poem on the first day of the poetry writing class that i took at the very end of my undergrad. thanks so much for reminding me of it - and with such great images!

    ReplyDelete